What is the TEAS Plus application?
Primarily, there are four different application fees based on the type of application you choose. The TEAS Plus application filing fee is $225 per class of goods and or services in the application. This means that if you want to own your name in multiple international classes (categories), you will need to pay $225 per class (category).
For example, if you want to own the name of your nonprofit in the educational services category as well as the apparel category to protect your merchandise featuring your nonprofit’s name, your filing fee would be $450 ($225 for the educational category plus another $225 for the apparel category). The TEAS Plus application is less expensive than the TEAS regular application because you were limited to describing the goods and services that you offer based on the predefined descriptions included within the USPTO’s Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual (ID Manual).
For example, your nonprofit may sell limited edition Henley shirts in your online store. The ID manual may not have a predefined description for “henley shirts” so you may have to simply list that you sell “long sleeve shirts” in general.
In addition, you must meet several other requirements in order to qualify for the discounted TEAS Plus application fee:
- Your application must be complete when you file it since most of the fields in the TEAS Plus applications are considered mandatory.
- You have to identify the goods and services associated with your mark using the USPTO’s Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual (ID Manual).
- You have to pay for all of the international classes associated with your mark when you file the application.
- You must file the application as well as any future responses electronically using TEAS.
- You must consent to email communication and submit a working email address.