5 Things You Need to Know About Non-Disclosure Agreements
5 Things You Need to Know about Non-Disclosure Agreements
Our lawyer-prepared Non-Disclosure Agreements are drafted by our intellectual property attorneys are a non-refundable flat fee of only $299.
If you’re ready to order yours, call 407-674-2657 to get started
- You need one. If your business or idea is unique, valuable or is something that you don’t want anyone else stealing – you need to make sure that you get one and have it signed by anyone that you’re planning on sharing your ideas with.
- Don’t Draft it Yourself.In the age of YouTube and Google this is very tempting – but you need to have an actual intellectual property attorney (not even a general lawyer) draft this for you. Why? Because it needs to be custom to what you are protecting so that it covers everything that relates to what you are doing.At my firm, we draft these for our clients all the time. The Non-disclosure agreement I draft for one of my clients that is inventing a new mobile app – is completely different from the one I draft for my real estate investor client that is pitching an opportunity to investors.
- Don’t use a free template.As tempting as it is – this can be dangerous for a number of reasons. I once had a client come to me with their signed Agreement. I asked where he got it from but I didn’t even have to ask because it was clear that it was an online template. He thought he was just saving money by using it – but didn’t realize that I couldn’t even enforce his rights because the agreement wasn’t drafted to fit his unique situation. The legal remedies clause did not include the remedy that would’ve been best for him. Nor did it provide nearly enough coverage or legal protection for his idea. As sad as it was, I had to share the bad news that he would need to file an expensive lawsuit to try and get what he deserved. If his agreement had been drafted the right way, I could’ve based a demand off of the contract itself and saved him thousands of dollars in legal fees. In other words, free online templates just serve to make lawyers rich because they would rather get paid thousands to file a lawsuit than a few hundred to draft a preventative agreement that actually saves you money.
- Make sure it includes the protection you need.There are mutual non-disclosure agreements and non-mutual non-disclosure agreements – but it is really important that you get the right one! Which one is right for you depends on what you’re doing and what you’re looking to protect. If you’re the only one sharing trade secrets and proprietary information, we’ll draft a non-mutual non-disclosure agreement with language that protects you if the other party divulges your info. On the other hand, if both of you will be sharing info. we’ll need to use the mutual non-disclosure clauses since we’ll need remedies if either party breaks the terms. Keep in mind that we’ll still need to make sure the NDA doesn’t limit you to the point where if you decide not to do business with this party – that you can’t work with anyone else. This happens all too often! That’s why it’s really helpful for us to speak with you about what you need – then we can draft language that is strong enough to protect you but gives you freedom to still do business with other people if that is what you need.
- Don’t Wait.I know you may have a million other things to address – but when it comes to protecting your ideas – you can lose legal rights if you don’t protect them.So, pick up the phone and give us a call for a free consultation so that we can hear what you’re trying to do and help you protect yourself. 407-674-2657.
Our 5-Step Non-Disclosure Agreement Process:
- Call our office at 407-674-2657 for a free consultation. Let our receptionist know you want a Non-Disclosure Agreement and they’ll schedule a free consultation. Our phones are answered 24/7.
- During the free consultation, you’ll speak to a member of my team that will learn about your particular situation and let you know if we can help you. If we can, you can process payment during that call (all major credit or debit cards accepted) and we’ll open up a file for you.
- Your case will immediately be assigned to an intellectual property attorney at my office that will have a detailed legal consultation with you (over the phone or in-person) to learn more about what you’re trying to protect.
- Based on the information you shared, your intellectual property attorney will draft a non-disclosure agreement that is customized to protect you and your business.
- We’ll draft it and give you an opportunity to revise it. Then, we’ll give it to you as an editable Microsoft Word file so that you can use it and modify it as you need to.
Don’t wait. Give us a call today at 407-674-2657 to get started